A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
The Old Edgar, on the corner of Shipgate Street and Lower Bridge Street dates from around 1500. After years of dereliction it was restored and now serves as a private residence. In 1828, when it was called The Edgar Tavern, its licencee was John Moulton, in 1850 George Owens.
No pubs at all now exist in Shipgate Street but several once traded in this short thoroughfare that for centuries gave access to the once-important seaport of Chester...
'The Edgar Tavern', sometime in the 19th century. Note the three balls of a pawnbroker's hanging above Shipgate House opposite.
Above: The Old Edgar in a near-derelict condition in the late 19th century
and, right, in much better nick and serving as a cafe in 1930
The Olde Edgar Cafe: "Bed & Breakfast. Accomodation for Cyclists"
This view of the Old Edgar also includes a rare glimpse of the long-removed Shipgate.
The still-thriving Bear & Billet Inn is on the left of the photograph.
The Old Edgar photographed by the author in 2009.
A remarkable 'then and now' rendering by the digital artist Martin Moss showing the Old Edgar and its neighbourhood in the 19th century and today.
Do you have any more information about this old pub?
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery
Site Front Door | Site Index | Chester Walls Stroll | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Picture | Next Picture