Chester Guided Walks

If you find our 'virtual stroll' stimulating, why not treat yourself to one of our real guided walks?
Join photographer, author and historian Steve Howe to wander Chester's world famous City Walls, the most complete in Britain, and discover the delights of the city they have guarded for 2000 years. See sights and hear stories you'll never find in any guidebook! Booking is simple- click on the picture to learn more..




Introduction

A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester

A Short History of Chester Railway Station
by John Whittingham

Edited and with additions by Steve Howe


The Northgate



Site Front Door
Search the Site Index

Check out the Route Map
A brief introduction to Chester

The Northgate
The North Wall
The Phoenix Tower
The Kaleyard Gate
The Cathedral
The Eastgate
The Newgate & Wolfgate
The Amphitheatre
/ gallery
Amphitheatre Comments

St. John's Church
The 'Roman Garden'
River Dee
/ 2 inc Grosvenor Park
The Bridgegate
The Castle
The Grosvenor Bridge
The Roodee
The Watergate
The Infirmary
The Watertower
Tower Wharf
St. Martin's Gate
The Bridge of Sighs
Chester's visitors through time
The Rows of Chester
The Chester Gallery
Old Maps & Aerial Photos
Old photos of Chester & Liverpool
Vanished Chester Pubs / gallery
History of Chester's Cinemas
The Old Port
The Chester Canal
Memories of the Royalty Theatre
Chris Langford Gallery
Chester Mystery Plays Gallery
Chester Anagrams!
MickleTrafford Railway Stroll
Letters about the CDTS Busway
Letters about our site
The B&W Picture Place
Links to Interesting Places
Advertise with us
Write to us

Dchester station when newuring the early 1840s the city fathers of Chester were keen to have the newly-proved successful railways introduced to the area to give the citizens and businesses a chance to avail themselves of this relatively fast and cheaper form of transport that had been hitherto unavailable.

Right: the newly-opened station in a rural setting; sheep graze where the Queen Hotel and City Road are today

The canals and stagecoaches were fairly busy but slower and costlier and not reliable enough so this new form of transport was greatly looked forward to. So, when the Chester to Birkenhead line with its own station was opened on 23rd September 1840 there was great excitement. It was soon followed by the Chester to Crewe line and its own station, opened on 1st October 1840.

These two stations served the local community fairly well but the need to change trains was a great inconvenience for passengers and goods traffic. A joined-up station was preferred so a committee was formed to plan for a joint station run by the Great Western Railway Company and the London and North Western Railway Company. These two companies had taken over the C & B Railway and the C & C Railway because they had the financial power and influence to create an impressive joint station building which would enhance railway transport and create a major junction for both passengers and goods traffic.

On 1st August 1847 the foundation stone was laid for the new station with Thomas Brassey as the railway builder and contractor and the chosen architect was the celebrated London-based Francis Thompson.

inside of station 19th cConstruction work went ahead with a workforce of approximately 2000 comprising bricklayers, stonemasons, carpenters and joiners, roofers and plumbers as well as labourers and other workers, and within just one year the main station buildings were completed and a straight-through platform and two bay platforms were opened on 1st August 1848, to great acclaim by the local populace who could now travel from one main railway station to various destinations, including the North Wales Coast line (run by the Chester and Holyhead Railway Company) and the Shrewsbury line (run by the Chester and Shrewsbury Railway Company). These were later taken over by the LNWR and GWR rspectively.

Right: the elegant interior of the new station in the mid-19th century

The important junction was developing rapidly with sidings, warehouses, signalboxes and two motive power depots for servicing the steam locomotives mainly of the GWR and LNWR companies.

As traffic increased during the 1860s and 70s, so did the need to accommodate the greater volume of passengers and freight, and the railway companies decided to extend the station and build two island platforms with two bays and also major buildings which were connected to the original station buildings by an impressive footbridge, which were all completed in 1890.

our=tside of station 19th cAt its peak, in the Edwardian era 1901-1911, there were over 200 trains calling at the station and a staff of over 100 to cope with the demands of the passengers and goods traffic which also included the Royal Mail letters and parcels businesses.

During the First World War period, Chester station saw vast numbers of troops either going to the training camps in North Wales or travelling to the Western Fronts in either France or Belgium, many of whom, of course, would not be returning..

The inter-war years were still very busy but the rise of road transport was beginning to have an effect with, for example, trams and then later buses on the streets of the city, connecting the station with a direct service to the city centre and suburbs.

The Parliamentary Railways Grouping Act of of 1923 saw the GWR company being formed of the constituent parts of the former widespread companies in their regions, nicknamed 'God's Wonderful Railway' or 'Great Way Round', whilst the LNWR company became part of the London Midland Scottish company formed from the LNWR, also the Midland and the Scottish Railway companies as well as various smaller companies such as the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company and the North Staffordshire Railway Company, all being merged into the LM- nicknamed 'Let Me Sleep'..

advert for races trainsDuring the Second World War, the railways played a major role in moving troops and ammunition, and Chester station saw great numbers of the traffic movements involved, but there was no direct hit by enemy bombers although a concrete bunker housing signalling equipment was built in case the planes returning from bombing the docks and railways in Liverpool dropped any bombs whilst returning from their sorties.

station interior 30sWith nationalisation in 1948, the trains, track and everything connected to the railways were run by British Railways, a government organisation which saw modest improvements to the station and rolling stock. This continued until the Railways Act of 1993 which paved the way for privatisation, firstly North Western Trains, then First North Western and since 2003 Arriva Trains Wales which has the franchise until 2018.

Features of interest at the station: Three straight-through platforms namely Numbers 3, 4 and 7, with four bay platforms, namely numbers 1, 2, 5 and 6. Platform 7 has the third rail DC in situ to enable the MerseyRail electric trains to enter the station for their services to the Wirral and Liverpool.

There have been plans to bring mainline electric trains services from Crewe to Chester and Holyhead but at the time of writing, March 2017, nothing definite has been decided..

Other interesting features are the model owls in the eaves of the roof on Platform 4 which are there to frighten the feral nuisance pigeons.

The recent modernisation of the interior of the station by Arriva Trains Wales has comprised a series of copper-sheet building structures for a new booking office, customer service centre, café express and betting shop as well as providing a Costa coffee shop on the site of the former booking office. It is debateable whether customers / passengers like them or not.. certainly the interior of the station falls far short of its impressive facade!

A final item worthy of mention is the now removed former footbridge from the station platforms spanning the railway lines and reaching over to Hoole Road with its own entrance and exit;. very convenient for people on that side of town, but unfortunately, after a small fire, this wooden footbridge was dismantled and removed in the 1960s.

I know there's lots more to say about the history of Chester Station, but I hope this brief account will whet your appetite for any tours that you may wish to join and for me to lead or organise..

John Whittingham, Chester City Tour Guide and former Rail Staff



Some images of Chester Railway Station through the years

(if anyone objects to our use of any of these images please let us know and we'll remove them)

tram outside station
Above and below: trams out Chester Station c 1909

tram outside station 2

soldier 1944
1944

station 50s 1
1950s

station 50s 2
1953

station kids 53
1953

station boy 56
1956

train 75
1975

station 75
1975

station at night 2012
Chester Station at night 2012 © Steve Howe

Help keep the Chester Virtual Stroll growing and up-to-date: please donate!

Top of Page | Site Front Door | Site Index | Chester Walls Stroll Introduction | Route Map | The Northgate | Write to Us!

Site and contents © Steve Howe / B&W Picture Place