A Virtual Stroll Around the Walls of Chester
The Vanished Pubs of Chester Gallery
|The Ostrich Vaults stood on the corner of Black Diamond Street and St. Anne's Street in Newtown.
The 1871 trade directory lists it as The Ostrich and it is shown as an unnamed public house on a 1911 map. After it closed around 1912, it became a shop and is illustrated as such above. The building on the extreme left of the photograph still stands, was once a branch of the Co-op and is now a tool sale and hire business, Machine Mart. The former George Hotel was just beyond that.
The Ostrich's site is now a car park, illustrated below in March 2015.
Do you have any more information about the Ostrich Vaults?
Chester's Vanished Pubs parts 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | gallery | lost pubs maps
Stroll | Living Pubs of Chester | Old Pubs Gallery | Previous Page | Next Page